Friday, May 29, 2009

Sonogram Says . . .

We just had our monthly visit with our doctor this week and found out we're having a boy! This was a bit of a surprise, as most of my friends (and I) had, rather unscientifically, predicted that it would be a girl - I had terrible nausea, I was not experiencing "boy food" cravings, etc. Even the proprietress of a wine store in San Fedele, Italy, had pronounced the arrival-to-be a girl (even though I wasn't showing yet). So a boy it is . . . I can't say I feel overly confident about being a mother to a little guy, but at least now I won't go broke buying little girl outfits. Also, it's been rather interesting hearing people's reactions to the news. Some comments:
"Funny, I never imagined you with a boy." Well, you will have to now!
"That's so fantastic! So now you can have whatever you want the next time around!" We were thinking perhaps orangutan, or maybe even that less desirable option, a human girl. 
"Congratulations! Boys are much easier." Phew - guess we're on easy street now.  

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you little one is healthy and growing well. Hope all continues to go smoothly. I guess this is just the beginning of all the strange comments you will have about your child and your ability to parent him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lydia! And you're right, I think this is only the tip of the iceberg with the comments . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! and who was the one who said boys are easier? maybe that person should inform my son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! I felt the same way when I found out about Jacob. Just wait until you start getting comments about what the kid will look like once they find out that your kid will be bi-racial. The Italians couldn't fathom what our child would look like. And after Jacob was born....I'll save those awesome comments for later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh is probably going to be confused as a nanny strolling down the sidewalk with Jr.! wait- wrong country! wrong gender and reverse ethnic profiling- there's got to be a correlation with Belgium in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, can't wait for the biracial commments . . . actually, have already gotten a few amazing ones.

    ReplyDelete